Thursday, December 24, 2015

New Mexico Adventure

I just got back from a trip to visit a friend in New Mexico.

I love New Mexico.

My friend is studying to become a teacher. He is going to get duel certified in sped and K-12 education, with an emphasis on secondary English.

He asked me if I felt prepared to teach after my teaching preparation. I said that of course I felt prepared to teach, I just wasn't ready to do everything else that proves that you are a good special education teacher.

How to show that you are a good teacher is something that is tricky. It's definitely something that I need to keep working at. 

He mentioned to me that he has never seen a good special education teacher. That made me sad. I know I am a good teacher, but I'm going to keep exploring this year things to do to make sure that I appear to be a good teacher. After all, transparency is everything.

What I took from what he told me about what he looked for as a student observer:

1. Have the kids be engaged.

2. Be able to explain what you are doing to differentiate for each child.

3. Address the behavior problems if there are some. If you are purposefully ignoring the behavior, explain that to the person observing you.

4. Have the kids be able to explain what they are doing and why they are doing it.

5. Have the kids like you. If they say they don't like you, it's going to give someone observing you a negative opinion of your classroom.

I like to travel because it gives you a chance to think. Just the process of sitting for hours in an airport slows you down. It also gives you time to color.




No comments:

Post a Comment