Thursday, January 21, 2016

Is tech taking away social skills

There is a big push in the world of specially designed instruction for the use of computerized instruction.

I see a lot of my students gravitate towards computerized learning. The ones who really seem to enjoy it are the students who do not get along well with others.

While having my non-participators on the computer is easier, and where these students are the most successful, what are they not learning from a computer screen?

So today I decided to test being the computer. I started implimenting flash card practice into my group routines. 

I had never seen one of my boys smile as big as when I told him he was right after each flashcard. He needed very little repetition as well to learn the new skill of telling time that I was teaching to him.

High praise = high cooperation

It's really that simple. It's kind of sad that kids have to turn to a screen to get approval. The computer is predictable. You are either right or wrong, and it's not going to change it's mind. 

Be consistent. When there is an error, correct it. Then praise the student for getting it right. 

Those are my lessons learned today from the computer. Thanks technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment